Thursday, August 18, 2011

Leadership Attributes


What do GREAT leaders do differently from the average person that make them great or influential? This all important question is necessary to answer to start the journey of developing into an influential leader. As I reflected on my own answer to this question, a few people came to mind, one in particular, my High School Cross Country Coach...

Former College All-American, he was everything I idolized as an athlete. Successful, popular, likeable, and the list goes on. What made him stand out among the other leaders and mentors in my life? He connected with me. He connected with people. He connected with EVERYONE. And, he connected with people through a genuine, sincere spirit. People trust him including myself. Little did I know at the time how much my life would be different now as a result of his influence on my life!

Finishing an eight mile run around Lake Geode, I was exhausted and extremely frustrated with a teammate of mine (underclassman) for taking a short cut to beat me. I was furious. However, how my Coach handled this taught me an important lesson. He simply asked me, "Well, you can't change him or the circumstances, what could you change? As a team leader, how are you going to handle this?" I soon realized I had a lot to learn.

Following the season, I continued to meet with this Coach of mine on a weekly basis into the first half of my first year of college. Those times forever shaped my faith and beliefs about leadership.

What made him so influential in my life? Here are a few things of his character that reveals the virtue in which my life (as well as others) were influenced:
1. He genuinely cared
2. Relationships were more important than winning
3. Consistent - there were no surprises to how he dealt with issues of life
4. Communication - he listened before he spoke
5. Priorities - it became obvious he lived his life with the most important people in mind first

Before you desire to influence others, how have you been influenced to become the leader you are aspiring to be now?

10 comments:

  1. I think it is very important to have someone in your life to look up to. I would love to be a person who is looked up to. I want someone to be able to say they want to be just like me. It is important to be able to talk to that person and learn about them. Learn their story and about how they are such a great person. I think everyone should have someone like this in their life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i think its very important to have someone to loo kup to as you walk through life,it has to be someone who has gone through the path of life where you wish to walk through.For me i look up to Dr. Ben Carson because he refused to see his failures as defeat i look up to him because i dream of being a doctor and i also ad mire the way he dealt with his failures in life

    ReplyDelete
  3. i think its very important to have someone to look up beacuse you will always have to have role model if you dont have one now you will have it sometimes.Mine parents are mine role models because they did evertything they could for me and made me look so good and put their life a side to be in mine with full passion.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that everyone needs to have a dependable person to look up to when they need it. A person doesnt have to be this super well known person but it has to be someone you can connect with.Having that someone can help you stay on the straight path when you are led astray.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe that in life you need someone to look up to, or i believe that you will get lost in life. Having trust and faith in the person helps not only you but them as well. I hope that some one looks up to me in life for somthing. It was be nice to think that I help influence someone enough for them to look up to me in life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Someone that you look up should represent what you want to be or who you want to be in the future. I've been influenced to be the leader that I want to be by seeing people make a positive impact on others and myself. I aspire to do things that will make me well liked and thought of as a good person

    ReplyDelete
  7. Who do you look up to? What makes you look up to them? You need to be able to connect with them. Also, they need to be able to keep you on the right path and stay motivated towards your goal.

    ReplyDelete
  8. You usually look up to people who represent what you want yourself to be. You look up to them because you know that you want to be like them and they have done something to change your life. They will push you to reach your goals, and even though you might feel like they are picking on you, just know that they know you can do better and want you to succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The best leaders are those who work wonders when they're dealt bad cards. There are always times when succeeding is a piece of cake and takes little effort or compromise to achieve your goals. However, the best can still hold onto their goals and morals in dire straits, and still pull though. As a leader, this skill is infinitely important as there are always others whose wellbeing is in your hands.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The leaders that I really like are the ones who lead by example. I liked that the coach in your story lead by example and wasn't a hypocrite when you turned your back to him. A leader has to have the same character all the time. I think leaders like Michael Jordan are great because he didn't change when people challenged his beliefs. He always stayed the same and stood up for his teammates. He was also the hardest working person in the NBA for many years. He was a true leader that I look up to.

    ReplyDelete