Monday, October 25, 2010

Choose Your Future by Choosing Your Influence


"Show me your friends and I will show you your future." These were the words spoken by motivational speaker Keith Robinson at a recent conference I attended in Ames. These words struck me as I reflected on my own experience as a teen and college student. I found myself agreeing more as I reflected on the different periods of growth in my faith, character and leadership.

I couldn't agree more with this statement. I am a product of who I have surrounded my life with. Therefore, my present life (future) is a result of my friends in years past. This started as a teen as I sought to model my life after a Coach and Mentor in my life, Jim Probst. As I severed ties with the friends who influenced my life negatively, I found myself desiring the influence and impact of someone I esteemed as having great success. He was successful with life vision, life purpose, life relationships, faith and leadership.

I have found that our friends really influence three major aspects in our life. First, who we spend significant time with influences our ambitions. What we desire and aspire to do is strongly influenced by what our friends want to do. This is addressing what we want to accomplish in life. Our friends influence our future accomplishment. Will it be good? Worthy of true admiration of others?

Secondly, our friends strongly influence our direction. The path I walk and the life I live is greatly shaped by those whom I seek approval from. Our friends can push and pull us in directions we know may hinder our character and leadership development.

Thirdly, our friends influence our beliefs and core values. This may be the stongest caution I would give. Our friends can help shape our beliefs and core values, which ultimately determine our outlook on life. Ask yourself, "Are my friends helping me value what is really important in life?" Also, consider your influence. Is your impact helping others' grow in their character and leadership?

In short, who we surround our lives with shapes our decisions and sets us on a course. To choose your course in life, be sure to carefully choose your friends.


"LIFE IS PARTLY WHAT WE MAKE OF IT, AND PARTLY WHAT IT IS MADE BY THE FRIENDS WE CHOOSE." (American Poet Tennessee Williams)

12 comments:

  1. I think this is a great point. If you surround yourself with people you care about, and for which you know will always be there for you, you will have solid base for you future. Saying says, You are who your friends are, and if you have friends you have already accomplished something big. Friends are hard to made, but once made they are one of most valuable things in world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Russian proverb says: Tell me who are your friends and I will tell you who you are.
    I agree that it's really important to have good friends who are on the same page as us.
    Friends are people we love and respect. And they influence us. Everytime. Everywhere.
    Well, that's why we should be really careful about what kind of persons our friends are.
    Bad influence=Wrong decisions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Friends influence what actions you make though out your life. Even if you don't share the same morals as your friends eventually you will start acting like them. You need to surround your self with people you like and respect. You need friends that will challenge yourself to do better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Everyday you are told atleast once by someone that you can't achieve. You may not believe me but if you consider it someone does put you down atleast once. How you deal with it defines your character. You must put aside your doubts and strive to succeed. Surrounding yourself with positive self motivated people is the best way to achieve greatness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i agree with Joe, once you spend enough time with someone, you will start to think like them, and act like them. You need to surround yourself with people that will help you grow.... in the RIGHT direction in what you want ot do in life.

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love the first quote i think that i so true especially in high school you have those kids that it seems like they would murder to be friends with this one group. well that one group prolly isn't even the right one i think that a lot can be decided in these 4 years of high school good or bad we need to make sure that they are good

    ReplyDelete
  8. The thing that I tend to struggle with is that what if by cutting yourself off from bad influences, you cut them off from being positively influenced. You know? Like what if all of their other friends make bad decisions and choices and negatively impact them, should you then remove positive influence just for your own benefit? I don't know, it's just something I was thinking about.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The statement that Keith Robinson made is short but as I ponder it and think about my life now, he is right. You are indeed a reflection of who you see everyday. Morals, values, goals, and personality are easily influened by not just friends, but parents I think as well. If you have bad influences in your life then you will show those bad traits. The same goes for positve influces, you reflect positive character traits.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a very good point because we want to be accepted and so we are going to act like them to fit in. I think more importantly we need to look at how we influence people. We need to walk the talk. Everywhere you go someone could be watching you. Take a step back and look at how you influence others. Remember actions speak louder than words. Let what you do tell others who you are.

    ReplyDelete
  11. The statement really hits the spot because your life will depend on who you hang out with today. If you hang with some people who help you make the right choices and help influence you to make the decisions you will have a good future. The statement can also affect us in another way by what we are doing to influence others.

    ReplyDelete
  12. joe's got the right idea there. the people that you spend time with do eventually effect your decisions and ultimately who you are.

    ReplyDelete