Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Progressing Daily



"The great thing in the world is not so much where we stand, as in what direction we are moving.” The 19th century physician, poet, writer and Harvard Professor, Oliver Holmes, made this statement and inspires us to remember that leadership requires progress. Sometimes when we look back at success or failure, we slow our progress and then we simply "stand" as Professor Holmes stated. Leadership development requires the perspective that we continue to advance and move forward in areas of communication, planning, goal setting, relationship building, speaking, etc.

When living with the perspective that we should be advancing our leadership, it's also important to remember this is a DAILY commitment. Great leaders are not born nor developed in a day. George Washington developed his character and leadership over a lifetime before being elected as our first President with all of the electoral college votes (no other president has done this). Remember, his leadership was developed through seasons of trials, adversity, success, droughts, and stand still. His commitment towards his vision and his values enabled his perseverance.

What practical steps of action can you take on a DAILY time scale to improve your leadership?

Abe Lincoln also stated once, "If I am given six hours to chop a tree down, I will use the first four to sharpen my axe."

13 comments:

  1. well i love the quote at the bottom i think that is so true to have much preparation to do a task well. i also agreed with the stand still period we should never look back on our progress for that hinders more progress good good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think we need to take the time and look at where we really want to be later in life (in leadership). Do we still want to be just kind of stepping up or do we want to be far enough to show people how to step up. I think with the stand still periods we need to look back and ask ourselves what was stopping us. I think this is the best way to keep moving and learning.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that we should stop for a second and to see where we are now, and where we want to be in 10 years or so. Then we should do things to make that possible. If you for example joined drama section and you have to get up early to do reversal, you cant say it is early, I am not gonna go. You made a commitment and you have to stick to it.If we really want to change, we have to go from little things. Lots of those little things will be a big thing when you look back in 10 years, and see what you did in that period of time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think that people should know what they want to accomplish based on their true values. Next a plan is needed, but more importantly, commitment needs to be present. When a challenge arises many people say, "Well I don't think I can get passed this". They are wrong, they need to believe in themselves that they can accomplish what needs to be done, have a plan, and then execute that plan.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Time management is huge to me. Everyday you can work on putting the most important things first. Stop and think about what your action will fo for yourself and for others.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i have to say this is one quality i need to work on. Since starting this class ive made a schedule planning my days out

    ReplyDelete
  7. Time management has been something I've really been struggling with lately. I think I need to start to plan stuff out ahead of time, instead of trying to organize stuff once i'm already doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I,ve been struggling with time management. I find myself doing nothing sometimes, and i should use that time to get something productive done. i should also fully prepare and think about something before i jump into it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Time management is one of the key things that I have been having trouble with. I usually spend most of my free time doing something that isnt really important and slacking off on what I should do to help me become a better leader.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you should always try to improve something positive in your life, even if it is small. Because doing the little things better helps you accomplish the big things. And always remembering that it takes time to accomplish things and to stay happy and keep moving forward.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Time management, oh man, that is something almost everyone in America has a problem with, they don't know what to do and when to do it, and when they do have something to do, most people just procrastinate until the very last second. I am guilty of that little crime my self, i have been trying to work on it though. Just get all of the stuff you need to do done BEFORE it is due, that is a problem I have...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leadership is thing we have to develop daily. That's the point.
    Everyone have to perfect him/herself to be successful.And I also really like Abe Lincoln's
    words, every day we have some opportunities to accomplish our goals and purposes, we have to be ready to use them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. "Success usually comes to those who are to busy to be looking for it"
    Yeah, I'm totally agree with Henry David Thoreau. The point is that human's nature is not a final product, it is the material. And success is not a discreet, it is continous. That's why we cant stop, we are to develope 24 hours per day 7 days per week...

    ReplyDelete