Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Developing a Personal Plan For Growth

NOTE: This is an article by John Maxwell copied and pasted from his website.


Read the following portion of an article by John Maxwell:




Do you have a personal plan for growth?
February 8th, 2010

"Growth is does not happen by chance. If you want to be sure to grow, you need a plan—something strategic, specific, and scheduled.Motivational speaker Earl Nightingale said, “If a person will spend one hour a day on the same subject for five years, that person will be an expert on that subject.” Isn’t that incredible? It shows how far we are able to go when we have the discipline to make growth our daily practice.
So if you want to follow a plan, recommend that you start by identifying an area or two in which you desire to grow, such as leadership. Then start gathering useful resources – in print, online, on video, etc. Now your goal is to schedule learning time EVERY DAY. Here’s the rule of thumb I’ve used for years: read one book a month and digest one article/podcast per week.
As an example, this is the weekly schedule – 5 days a week, 1 hour a day – that I recommend for personal growth as a leader:

Monday: Spend one hour with a devotional to develop your spiritual life.
Tuesday: Spend one hour listening to a leadership recording.
Wednesday: Spend one hour filing* quotes and reflecting on the contents of Tuesday’s material.
Thursday: Spend one hour reading a book on leadership.
Friday: Spend half of the hour reading the book and the other half filing and reflecting.


The average American adult watches close to 30 hours of television per week, with little positive return. What do you think would happen if you devoted just five of those hours to personal growth?
Why not start acting on a plan today and find out? Then let me know if it was worth it."

Discuss why planning for growth is necessary for leadership and how you plan on planning on it? :)

9 comments:

  1. It is important to plan for growth, because, as humans, we are not always responsible enough to push ourselves on our own. For many, there needs to a structure to keep them accountable to accomplishing their goals. As a leader, they shouldn't be fine with staying how they are, but always striving to improve themselves. I could make a weekly schedule similar to the one in the article to help me reach my goals.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Planning for growth is necessary for leadership because to be a good leader, you need to be an expert the thing you are trying to lead in. Leadership is a role that is not clearly defined, the time and effort you put into your leadership role is part of growing. It makes you a better person.
    I believe I can plan a time into my schedule for growth in my leadership by writing out a goal for the week on an area of leadership I will work on. Then each week adding a different goal but building off of the first ones.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with cameron when he made the comment on "we are not always responsible enough to push ourselves on our own." I think that for a leader, writing down his/her goals and making a plan on how to meet them is the extra motivation we need. If we are having a bad day or week or something, we might lose that faith in us that we had in the beginning and when you write your plan down you can get a peek at what was motivating us when we were having a good day.
    I don't know if this really counts as a plan or not but for development in leadership for me in sports i have noticed that just doing the simple things like showing up to lifting/running on time and just being consistent that I have gained respect from my coaches and from my teammates. I feel as though my coaches are seeing me more as a leader and they know I want to work hard and that I am not afraid to do so. So i guess my plan is to just "Do the little things" so to say..

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is important for humans to grow. So that when we do reach our goals, we can look back and see all the things we have accomplished.
    I think that i can plan some time into my schedule for growth in leadership by setting a goal each week and by the end of the week hopefully reaching that goal.

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you want to accomplish something -set a goal and go for it. Think about the result and make yourself do something for reaching this goal, because if you don't work on it--you'll not succeed.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Humans have to grow in order to reach their goals. And you have to make yourself reach that goal in order to really grow. You have to have personal growth to be a good and successful leader.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think a succesful leader always has room for personal growth and improvement. If you set a goal work yourself to reach it. If the goal is met set the bar higher making more room for improvement.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Any succesful person and leader has to know how to grow as a person. In growth we get the stills that we need to reach our goals and live up to all taht we need to be. In a team it's about taking everyone with you in that growth.

    ReplyDelete
  9. any leader knows that growth of him is growth of a his company and that can always benifit everyone.

    ReplyDelete